Oven dried Tomatoes




Yes!...these are like sun dried tomatoes, the only difference is that they are dehydrated in the oven. Sun dried tomatoes were originally created in Italy by placing tomatoes on roofs to dry out, so this way they could preserve them for a long period of time. If you don’t have a roof to dry them out like me, this is your way to make them. It only takes time but it’s totally worth it I promise you that!.

I loveee sun dried tomatoes, so I was always looking for the perfect ones in the market, and I kept looking and looking, until the day I decided I would make my own,...so that’s how I came up with this marvelous recipe of oven dried tomatoes. They are so full of flavor that you can enhance any meal by adding a touch of this deeply flavored sweet tomatoes. The chewiness and sweetness of the slow dried tomatoes, along with the unexpected sweetness of the slow roasted garlic, make this recipe the finish line of my glorious sun dried tomatoes pursuit!. Make them and I can assure you that you are going to love them with everything!.

Makes 48 halves

Ingredients
24 plum tomatoes
½ cup good olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.

Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise, drizzle with the olive oil and add the garlic. Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet, cut sides up, in a single layer. Sprinkle with the sugar, salt and pepper and dehydrate for 9 to 12 hours, or until you get the thickness you like. As soon as you get them out of the oven add the fresh basil and oregano and toss together. Let them cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container covered with olive oil. 

Note: Times and temperature may vary for each oven, also the size of the tomatoes, and last but definitely not least, your preference. I like mine slightly dry but still chewy. Just find out your perfect way!




0 comments:

Post a Comment