Sour Cream Coffee Cake



I love everything about this cake!,…and let me explain why. The lightness due the cake flour, and how moist it is with the addition of sour cream make this cake irresistible. The streusel and the glaze are divine, I think these are the best things from this cake. I changed a few things from Ina’s original recipe, doubled the amount of glaze, added raisins, more walnuts, and replaced kosher salt for fine sea salt. So now, I super duper love it.

I have this cake usually for breakfast with a diet coke. I know, it’s a coffee cake you would say, but I just happened to love diet coke in the morning as my coffee. My husband still wonders about it.  

This coffee cake has the right amount of sweetness and indulgence you would love to have at any hour of any day. If you are one of those people who avoid eating sweets at night like me, you will pray to see the sunrise faster to indulge yourself with this treat, I always do so.  So I invite you to make this sour cream coffee cake and enjoy it with me. 

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
Ingredients:
12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups sour cream
2 ½ cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt

For the streusel:
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of fine sea salt
3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted 
4 tbsp real maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer for 4 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, then add the vanilla and sour cream. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and add the mixture to the batter on low speed until just combined.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and cold butter in a small bowl and pinch together with your fingers until you get a crumble. Mix in the walnuts and raisins.

Pour half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a spatula. Sprinkle ¾ of the streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter over, spread it out, and sprinkle the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake taster comes out clean. Let it cool for an hour.

Transfer the cake streusel side up onto a serving plate.

Whisk the confectioner’s sugar and maple syrup together. You can add a few drops of water if necessary to make the glaze runny.  Drizzle the glaze over the cake with a fork or spoon.
Enjoy!

2 comments: